Webinar: “Convincing Affordable Housing Providers to Go Smoke-Free”
Tuesday, November 29, 2016 (10:30am – 11:30pm PDT)
Guest Speaker: Serena Chen, MSW
The webinar will cover:
- The different types of affordable housing providers and their primary missions (public housing vs. non-profit housing providers vs. Section 8/private landlords).
- Impact of rent control laws on smoke-free housing campaigns.
- Importance of building relationships with housing providers.
- Identify and differentiate three types of affordable housing providers.
- Identify three reasons why some affordable housing providers are resistant to going smoke-free.
- Identify two strategies to build relationships with affordable housing providers.
Serena Chen, MSW has worked with communities and cities on the successful passage of dozens of tobacco control ordinances over the past 25 years in Bay Area cities. In 2007, she helped a group of senior citizens successfully advocate for the nation’s first smoke-free MUH policy in Belmont, CA. She subsequently worked directly with the cities of Richmond, Union City, Alameda, and Berkeley on the adoption of similar ordinances and provided TA on ordinances in El Cerrito and Pasadena. She has also worked with two housing authorities and two non-profit MUH providers to adopt and implement smoke-free policies.